City of Moody, Texas
P.O. Box 68 606 Ave E.
Moody TX 76557
254-853-2314 Fax : 254-853-2164
MINUTES of the City Council, May 9, 2023
The city council of Moody, Texas met in a public hearing and a regular session May 9, 2023. This meeting was duly announced in accordance with Title 5, Chapter 551, of the Texas Government Code. The following items were addressed:
- CALL TO ORDER, ESTABLISH A QUORUM IS PRESENT. Mayor Charlene Dowell called the Public Hearing of the Moody City Coucil to order, determined that a quorum was present with herself, John Carpenter, Richard Moore, Jennifer Houghton, and Karla Alton and Josh Richter present. Member of the Council Bar also in attendance was the City Administrator and Police Chief. The City Council was called to order and the Public Hearing started at 6:00 P.M with no one present for the public hearing and so the Regular Session started at 6:03 P.M.
- PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE & PRAYER. The Group assembled in the pledge to the U.S. Flag and to the Texas Flag. The group offered a prayer for the group and proceedings.
- Public comments on agenda items.
4. Public comments on non- agenda items.
5. Council was asked to review and approve City Council Minutes from the regular meeting on 4/11/2023. John Carpenter made a motion to approve and was seconded by Richard Moore, all for and none against.
6. Council was asked to approve ordinance to annex property id 152806 for Mr. Cordova. Richard Moore made a motion to approve and was seconded by John Carpenter, motion carried.
7. Council was asked to approve ordinance to annex property id 153318 for Mr. Chatham. Richard Moore made a motion to approve and was seconded by Jennifer Houghton, motion carried.
8. Members of the Cotton Harvest Festival Committee were in attendance and were wanting to ask council members about the date for this years Cotton Harvest Festival. They were requesting September 30, 2023. Jennifer Houghton made a motion to approve requested date and was seconded by Karla Alton, all for and none against, motion carried.
9. City Manager, Keith Fisher gave an explanation about the school wanting to move forward with giving Kitchens Park to the City. Some discussion was given on the upkeep of the park and safety. Motion was made by Josh Richter and seconded by Jennifer Houghton, motion carried.
10. An update was given from the City’s code enforcement officer, Hal Pagel. The main point of the update was that the building was in poor condition and in Mr. Pagels opinion he thought it should be torn down. No action was taken on this matter.
11.The City Manager brought up a matter to the Council about an applicant and certain issues in regards to staffing needs for the utility department. No action was taken on this matter.
12. Staff reports were given by the Utility Director, Police Chief and the City Manager.
13. No executive session neeeded.
14. Adjournment, the motion to adjourn was made by Richard Moore and seconded by John Carpenter, all for and none against, meeting was adjourned at 7:00 p.m.
Submitted by Renae Rivera