The City council of Moody, Texas met in regular session December 14, 2021. This meeting was duly announced in accordance with Title 5, Chapter 551, of the Texas Government Code. The following agenda items were addressed.
- CALL TO ORDER, ESTABLISH A QUORUM IS PRESENT. Mayor Dowell called the Regular Session of the Moody City Council to order, determined that a quorum was present with Mayor Charleen Dowell, Richard Moore, Karla Alton, Jennifer Houghton, Josh Richter and John Carpenter. Members of the Council Bar also in attendance were City Administrator , Chief of Police, and Utility Director. The City Council was called to order and in session at 6:00 PM.
- PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE & PRAYER. The group assembled in the pledge to the U.S. Flag and to the Texas Flag. The group offered a prayer for the group and proceedings.
- Public comments on non- agenda items. Ivory Murray -Requested animal control on last meeting. She requested removing animal control officer designee from this agenda and and leaving discussing animal control duties on this agenda.
- Public comments on agenda items.
Cindy Watson- talked against giving citations for people feeding free cats.
Alyssa Moyer- talked against giving citations for people feeding free cats.
James Hargrove- talked against giving citations for people feeding free cats.
5. Approval of the minutes from November 9, 2021 reviewed and approved minutes as read, Motion to approve was made by John Carpernter and seconded by Jennifer Houghton. All for none opposed.
6. There was discussion on the need to remove two members from the E.D.C. Board and replace them with two new members. Tina Eaton has moved and no longer lives near Moody and Kenneth Henager no longer wants to serve on the board. A motion was made by Richard Moore, and seconded by Jennifer Houghton to remove these members and add two new members. Nominations for new members were opened. John Carpernter nominated Charleen Dowell and John Carpenter nominated Karla Alton. Motion was made by Richard Moore, and seconded by Jennifer Houghton to accept these nominations. All for and none opposed.
7. Keith Fisher- Local Churches in Moody would like to close downtown area for a Christmas Service on Wednesday, December 22, 2021. A motion was made by Richard Moore and seconded by Josh Richter to close streets and allow local churches to have Christmas Service downtown. All for and none opposed.
8. Ivory Murray discussed Animal Control.
Ivory Murray – said enforcement for animal control stopped in July 2021. She said since then 27 dogs running at large. Total for the year is 103 instances of dogs running at large.
Ivory Murray – asking for help to resolve this issue. John Carpenter – asked her where she lives. Roger Kennedy – Explains city ordinance on animal control and explains how the City is currently handling animal control. No motion was made by council.
9. Ivory Murray – discussed people were dumping cat food for free cats to eat in her area. Free cats could cause diseases.
Richard Moore – Citizens of Moody are taking responsibility for free cats.
Motion was made by Josh Richter and seconded by Karla Alton to not issue citations for free cats and to set up budget to help with free cats. All for none opposed.
10. Sarah Alton – discussed the Moody I.S.D./Gear Up – Is planning a 5K run in April – May 2022. Motion was made by Richard Moore and seconded by Josh Richter to allow the Moody I.S.D./Gear Up to start planning their 5k run pending on permits and liabilities for the City. All for and none against.
11. Randall Gates requested de-annexation of his property at 467 Valley Drive.
Stating that Mclennan County did not let him vote. Quoted taxation without representation. Mayor discussed nothing would be done until pending lawsuit was resolved. Motion was made by Karla Alton and seconded by John Carpernter, to table de-annexation of 467 Valley Drive until City has discussed more with City Attorney. All for and none against.
12. Allen Wichkoski – discussed needing a street light on Howard and Whitson. Allen stated it was real dark in that area and that he has had things missing from his truck recently. Motion was made by Richard Moore and seconded by Josh Richter, for Keith Fisher to get with Oncor and see what it will cost to get street light installed. All for and none against.
13. Andrew Miller the Moody I.S.D. superintendent – discussed needing a new ordinance with the proper property id paperwork for Mclennan County. The City annexed this property in 2015, but 911 was still not dispatching Moody Police to calls. McLennan County said they needed the proper property IDs. The IDs they had were not acceptable. Motion was made by Josh Richter and seconded by Karla Alton to create an ordinance with all the proper property IDs and have them filed with McLennan County. All for and none against.
14. Keith Fisher discussed swearing in new council members. He said he has not received anything from McLennan County showing elections had been canvassed.
Motion was made by Richard Moore and seconded by John Carpenter to Table this item until we received canvassing from McLennan County. All for and none against.
submitted by:______________________________________Keith Fisher