City of Moody, Texas
P.O. Box 68 606 Ave E.
Moody TX 76557
254-853-2314 Fax: 254-853-2164
MINUTES of the City Council, January 13, 2023
The city council of Moody, Texas met in a regular session, January 13, 2023. This meeting was duly announced in accordance with Title 5, Chapter 551, of the Texas Government Code. The following items were addressed:
- CALL TO ORDER, ESTABLISH A QUORUM IS PRESENT. Mayor Pro-Tern John Carpenter called the Moody City Council to order, determined that a quorum was present with Richard Moore and Karla Alton present. Members of the Council Bar also in attendance were the City Administrator and Chief of Police. The City Council was called to order and the council meeting started at 6:00pm.
- PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE & PRAYER. The group assembled in the pledge to the U.S. Flag and to the Texas Flag. The group offered a prayer for the group and proceedings.
- Public comments on non-agenda items.
4. Public comments on agenda items.
5. Council was asked to review and approve the city council minutes from the regular meeting on 12/13/2022. A motion was made by Richard Moore to approve and seconded by Karla Alton. All for and none against.
The City Attorney, Denny Lessman was in attendance and spoke on Item #6. After showing proof to council that The Well has been compliant with the stipulations put forth by the City, a Certificate of Occupancy has been asked to be approved by the council. Motion was made by Karla Alton to approve request and seconded by Richard Moore. All for and none against. A certificate of occupancy will be given to The Well by the City.
7. Council was asked to review the city holiday schedule for the City Employes’s for the Year 2023. City Manager, Keith Fisher made known to council that the holiday schedule was the exact same as the previous year. Motion was made by Richard Moore to approve and seconded by John Carpenter. Karla Alton did not vote for the matter. Motion passed with 2 ayes and 1 nay by Karla Alton.
8. Code Enforcer, Hal Pagel was in attendance and gave an explanation about the old city shop building just north of the fire hall. Chief Kennedy added information about the building as well. City Attorney, Denny Lessman gave information about a licensed inspector that the City could use to look at the building. A motion was made by Karla Alton for Hal Pagel to be in charge of the situation and speak with said inspector and was seconded by Richard Moore. All for and none against.
9. There was a discussion about employee’s vacation time that had not been used in the prior year due to unavoidable circumstances. City Manager, Keith Fisher explained the circumstances and asked if the time could be rolled over onto this current year or paid out, whichever the council decided. Motion was made by Karla Alton to pay the employees that had vacation time from the previous year and was seconded by Richard Moore. All for and none against.
10. Item #10 was discussed with Council by City Attorney Denny Lessman in Executive Session which began at 6:27.
11.Council meeting resumed from executive session at 7:16 p.m. with nothing to discuss in regard to Item #10.
12. Staff reports were given by Utility director, and City Manager.
13. Motion was made by Karla Alton to adjourn the meeting and seconded by Richard Moore. All for and none against. Meeting was adjourned at 7:30 p.m.
Submitted by Renae Rivera